Monday, December 03, 2007

'Twas the month before Caucus

'Twas the month before Caucus, when all through the state

Iowans were stirring, wanting choice in their fate;

The candidates came before voters with care,

In hopes that the Caucuses soon would be theirs;

The volunteers were nestled all snug by their cell phones,

While visions of canvassing chilled them to their bones;

And mamma with her PC, and I with my laptop,

Had just settled down for a long-winded blog,

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the keyboard to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow

Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But Senator Obama, armed with hope and not fear,

With young volunteers, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment that Clinton must be sick.

More rapid than eagles his followers they came,

He inspired optimism, and called them by name;

"Now, Red! Now, Blue! Now, Independent and Green!

Come Black! Come White! Come elderly and young, so lean!

To the top of the polls! Don’t you hear the call?

Now caucus away! Caucus away! Caucus away all!"

As our weary country did hunger for hope,

when met with an obstacle, they did not mope,

So up to the poll-top Obama’s crew flew,

With a sleigh full of audacity to hitch themselves to.

And then, in a twinkling, The Register did leak

Obama’s surge in the polls is strong and not weak.

As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,

Senator Barack Obama came in with a bound.

Equipped with integrity, from his head to his boot,

just hitting his stride, old polls and cynicism now moot.

With the wind of momentum now at his back,

he looks like a winner, who is right on track.

His eyes -- how they twinkle! His smile, wide as a brim

His ears sticking out, yet looking just right on him!

His manner a rare mix of confidence and humility,

Just what we need to break through hostility.

And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke of the law and Senate Foreign Relations

And pledged to work with all to bring peace to the nations.

As he left us with challenges to do more than our foe,

We said yes! We are fired up and ready to go!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a nod,

leaving behind clear visions for here and abroad.

And I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,

"Happy O-Caucus to all, and to Bush a good-night."

No comments: